PRESENTATION - Furniture Designers
1) Pick one of the following furniture designers. No students can pick the same person.
Charles and Ray Eames
Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
& also: egyptian, greek, roman, ancient india, ancient japan, ancient china, ancient korea, medieval, gothic, renaissance, Louis XII and XIV, baroque, art nouveau, arts and crafts, etc.
2) create a powerpoint that answers the following questions:
• basic info (dates and location, etc.)
• what are some world events or inventions that were going on during that time. (check this link HERE)
• how did the designer start creating objects (schooling, etc.)
• what are the important themes/ideas in their work
• what is their visual style (organic, boxy, decorative, etc.)
• what kinds of materials and fabrication methods are used in their furniture?
• what makes them important or unique in the history of furniture design
• what else do they create besides furniture (housewares, architecture, cars, etc)
You must use 3 sources other than wikipedia!!!! List sources at end of powerpoint.
3) Make sure to include your own opinions about the designer's work. Do you like it? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? What does this designer do that you would like to do in your own work?
4) include at least 5 large images in the powerpoint
5) give a presentation to the class based on your powerpoint
What I will be looking for:
• presentation contains all the required items/information
• powerpoint is neat with clear text and large images
• opinion section is thoughtful and detailed
• information in the presentation is well organized
• spelling and grammar of text is accurate
• presentation shows understanding of concepts or topics being depicted in the images and the final result represents your full potential.
• The oral presentation must be well organized and rehearsed. DO NOT READ FROM THE SCREEN. Speak loudly and clearly to the audience.